This Sunday I’m participating in my first triathlon of the year at Goddard Park in Warwick, RI. Below is a checklist for my gear. This list is something I like to review before every race, just to make sure I’m prepared. I will lay everything out and have a printed version of the list in hand and will actually put check marks on this list next to each item as I pack them in my bag. Without a list, you may be surprised what you might forget. I now know of two stories where people were searching for extra bike helmets on race morning because they forgot them at home!
Please feel free to use the below list as a guide. Your gear my differ, but this may be good place to start.
- Full tank of Gas in car
- USAT Membership Card – (don’t need one if you bought the $10 one day license)
- Picture ID – needed for check in
- Gear Bag
- Cliff Shot Blocks – electrolyte cubes
- Energy Goos
- Salt Pills
- Body Glide/Tri-Glide
- Wet Suit/swim suit/tri suit
- Two pairs of goggles – one tinted for sunny days and one clear (I actually take about 5 pairs of googles)
- Garmin GPS watch – fully charged the day before
- Race Number Belt with nutrition pouch – If you don’t have one, get one. Safety pins will not suffice in a triathlon.
- Bike – Chain cleaned and lubed the night before
- Extra tire tube in post pouch with tire levers and CO2 cartridge and dispenser
- Bike Pump – Always check tire pressure at the race site. Tires can lose 10% of PSI overnight. Tom Brady fans already knew that!
- Three water bottles filled with Vitalyte for the Bike
- Aero bar drink container
- Bike Helmet (make sure visor is clean)
- Bike Shoes
- Bike Gloves
- Sun glasses
- Running Hat
- Running Shoes
- Extra pair of shoelaces
- socks – 2 pairs
- 2 plastic bags to keep things dry in the rain
- T-Shirt – something dry and comfortable to wear after the race
- Flip Flops/Tivas – something dry and comfortable to wear after the race